Sunday, March 8, 2009

members are administrators

Hi All,

The way I've been setting up the blog, all members so far have been granted administration abilities. This means we can all go into the "customise" link and from there we can invite other people to join, change the settings, add gadgets etc. It also means that we can each make a "list" that tells other members about what skills/abilities we have to offer. Probably a list is probably better than just a description on our profiles, but that might work too. Or we could just post up wishes as need be. Ahhh, the beauty of experiments is the mystery of seeing what will happen.

One of the limitations of the "blog" format is that there is a limit of 100 members. So if it seems that we are approaching that limit, we might at that time want to discuss how to proceed forward. 

I realise there is a bit of an ironic non-sequitor here. I felt so strongly about genuine involved direct democracy that I didn't bother to ask everyone if that was what they wanted. I just don't think it is something that people should be able to pick and choose about. All members have equal power, but they also have the choice of how to use that power. 

I know that there are some minor risks with this approach. Sabotage to the blog is one thing, and more importantly, all our email address are available for other member-administrators to see. But I think these risks are worth taking because they get to the heart of what this experiment is all about: trust, community, friendship, and good vibes. 

Don't forget: setting it up this way also means that we each have the power to leave at anytime. So if anyone out there feels really strongly against this approach, you can do a number of things: leave (which means a spot is opened up for someone else), raise it as a discussion point (again I'd like to point out the poll at the bottom of the page as a useful medium), or if you really think it sucks and I made a terrible transgression of trust in doing this, any one of you is free to boot me off the site. 

We're all equal beings, and here at least, we all have equal power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.